Thursday, February 13, 2014

Google Street View Philippines - Launch



Google Philippines has just launched Street View! I am thrilled that this project is finally happening. Anyone from any part of the world can now view the streets of the Philippines, starting in Manila - and even underwater in the Apo Islands. Its a wonderful way to document our, past and present and future urban environments. I'm sure we will appreciate seeing how our streets will evolve over the years.



When I look at old photographs of Pre-war or colonial Manila - I just melt at all the beautiful street scenes of people, buildings going about their daily lives, not knowing of what awaits the future of their city. When I walk along the old calles and avenues of Manila today, it's hard to picture that these very places were dignified streets. Many of these same streets have turned into crime-ridden, destitute, forsaken places. There is hope and I'm sure in time we will be able to recapture glorious moments and create our own history with the help of Google Street View.






No comments:

Post a Comment